Your Evening or Day Demo Booking Includes:
– Travel expenses: The booking form will calculate the mileage costs for you. All you need to do is use the provided postcode to find the return mileage using a mapping website such as Google Maps (HERE)
– Overnight hotel if return mileage is more than 150 miles or a weekend booking: Travelling is tiring! Subject to agreement, All demonstrations with return mileage of over 150 miles (before your mileage discount) will be charged a £50.00 contribution towards an overnight stay at a nearby Premier Inn Hotel;
– Demonstration notes where applicable
– Products for sale at discounted prices: A discount code for The Woodturning Shop will be provided for distribution to your members.
How To Book:
- Evening and Full Day demonstrations are woodturning demonstrations of complete projects from start to finish so sanding will need to be permitted.
- Select a date in the calendar above by clicking it;
- Complete the questions below the calendar. This will calculate the total costs for you;
- Click on ‘Check Availability’;
- Check the details, the click ‘Proceed to Check Out‘ – you do not need to pay anything;
- Add your name and club details where prompted for the name and address:
– Add the club contact in the First and Last name boxes
– In the Business Name, add your Club Name;
– For the address, use your meeting venue address (as I will use this for navigation);
– Agree to the terms and conditions, then;
- Click on ‘Request Confirmation’.
- Your requested date will be checked and a confirmation of the date and further information will be emailed to you. After that, you will receive all necessary emails and information automatically. A demonstration questionnaire will be sent to you three weeks before the event where you can let me know details of the evening and what to expect. If I cannot make the date you request, Martin will be in touch to discuss alternative dates.
Well received both in both remote and in-person presentations, this brand new demonstration for 2022 challenges you to think about mathematical proportions by turning a bowl purely using mathematics! It generates a lot of discussion and is a very interactive demonstration.
There is a 10 page booklet of supporting notes provided after the demonstration for your members.
Colouring by Hand
Perhaps Martin’s most popular demonstration, this one looks at the application of wood dyes by hand rather than an airbrush. During the presentation, your members will learn why figured woods are best for colouring using this technique. Members will also learn why no wood is safe from colour in Martin’s eye for colour and how just ‘a bit’ of colour can transform a piece. Permission from the venue to sand work and an extractor are required for this demonstration. There are notes available after the demo.
Being known for his fanatical approach to finishing, Martin goes through some of his processes from turning and sanding to applying sealer and final finish. He continues to explain why he carefully considers the finish on every single piece he turns and why you should too.
This is an enlightening demonstration into the mind of professional turners turning work to sell. Permission from the venue to sand work and an extractor are required for this demonstration.
Contemporary Ring Box
Another fairly simple spindle project for a solid and attractive ring box. Using two wood species, this demo includes spindle and bowl gouge work as well as drilling, use of a hollowing tool and scraper. There is also room for decorative tools and colours to be used, too.
Notes will be provided after the demo.
Eastern Style Tea Bowl
An excellent end grain bowl project using gouges and hollowing tools. The demo covers the turning of the piece, leaving the tenon on as the foot of the piece, the multiple layers of colour, plus the application of golf leaf using vinyl stencils. The lacquering process will be discussed in full as there will not be time, but a completed bowl will be shown.